About Flodigarry.


Flodigarry is a crofting township in the parish of Kilmuir in north Skye’s Trotternish peninsula. Kilmuir Estate which was owned by the trustees of Lord MacDonald was sold to Captain Fraser of Culbokie in 1847 for the sum of £85,000.
image

The estate comprised the whole of Kilmuir parish and a portion of the parish of Snizort. In 1890 the estate changed hands again and this time it was acquired by George Alexander Baird. On his death it was bought by the Congested District Board in 1904 from his trustees.

There were seven farms on the estate, Scudaburgh, Monkstat, Duntulm, Flodigarry, Sartle, Reisburgh and Lonfearn. Soon after purchasing the estate the Congested Districts Board sub-divided the farms and created new crofts.

Flodigarry farm was broken up and some of the land was given as enlargements to neighbouring townships in Kilmaluag. A new township was created and given the name Dunan (Flodigarry) with a total of 14 crofts. These crofts were allocated to families from Digg , Glashphien, and Brogaig in 1909 and it is the descendents of 12 of the original 14 crofters who sit as tenants on all of the crofts.

Flodigarry House was sold to Major R.J. Livingston MacDonald, a direct descendent of Flora MacDonald. Major Livingston MacDonald spent a large amount of money on improvements to Flodigarry House which he owned until 1926 and then sold it to Mr James Simpson, a banker and hotelier in Portree. Mr Simpson converted the house into a hotel now known as Flodigarry Country House Hotel.